This page is a section of the links list for Clan Sinclair
Association (Canada). To recommend sites for inclusion here,
contact the website administrator.
To go back to the main links page, click here.
[Links last checked: 19 Aug 2007]
Family History Links
- Family Search
– Searchable indexes of many UK parish records, also
the 1881 Canada census, and more. International Genealogical
Index (IGI). Wonderful online Search Research Guidance and
Research Help, such as the Scotland Research Outline.
- Scotlands People
– Fully-indexed old parish records, statutory (from 1855)
Birth, Marriage and Death records, census records, and wills and
testaments from the General Register Office for Scotland. Also
general information – for their list of Scottish parishes and
registration districts, click here. Online access and searches are free;
search results and images cost, but they may be kept in your
online account on the website. Excellent value.
- Court of the Lord Lyon
– Heraldic authority for Scotland. Family history links.
– UK and Ireland genealogy. Huge non-commercial collection
for family history researchers, including parish-by-parish records
and maps. Many links. Locate your ancestors' parish, and you may
find photos of their churches.
- Statistical Account of Scotland
– Comprehensive parish–by–parish accounts
first compiled by Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster, 1791–1799,
then again in 1845. Free to read — use the
non–subscribers Browse link. Hosted by the University
of Edinburgh. Fascinating reading!
– Official UK government source for family records.
- National Archives of Scotland (NAS)
– Wills, deeds, and valuation rolls, as well as pre–1855
baptismal records of churches other than the Church of Scotland.
– "Online tuition in the Palaeography of Scottish
Documents 1500–1750". Includes a weekly tip
and a weekly poser.
– A variety of Scottish genealogy databases.
Access is free.
- Origins Network
– Pay site for British, Irish and Scottish Origins.
Free IGI search, free Place search.
- Scottish Archive Network
– Project to digitize Scottish historical documents.
– "The largest collection of family history records
on the Web". Free newsletters, a few free databases
including the Ancestry World Tree.
Check for free AncestryLibrary.com access from your local
LDS Family History Centre or public library.
– Index to historical documents, personal papers,
and family histories held in archives around the world.
"Open the door to history."
- Cyndi's List
– Huge, legendary list of genealogy sites on the Internet,
by Cyndi Howells, author of Planting Your
Family Tree Online.
- Ellis Island
– Free access to indexed Port of New York (USA) passenger lists.
- UK Census Online
– The ongoing FreeCEN project is working to provide six
UK census returns, 1841 to 1891, in a free searchable online database.
As of August 2007, the Caithness 1841 census is 100% complete,
- Census Records Online
– Mark Reed's links to Canadian, US, and UK
census records. Useful pre–1974 map on
the Scotland links page.
- Census Finder
– Brenda Hay's directory of free online census records.
- Free BMD
– Civil Registration index of Birth, Marriage and Death (BMD)
records for England and Wales, which were kept from 1837.
As of August 2007, nearly complete up to 1909 (some gaps).
A free service where you can get enough information —
year and quarter, parish, volume and page — to
- General Register Office (GRO)
– The office in charge of statutory birth, marriage and
death registrations in England and Wales since 1837. Order certificates online.
- FindMyPast.com (formerly 1837online.com)
– Pay site offers the GRO indexes to
England and Wales BMD records, also
new transcriptions of the 1841, 1861, 1871
and 1891 censuses. Military records, and more.
- Surname Profiler
– University College of London project showing British surname
frequency and distributions in 1881 and 1998, also social demographics.
– Month-long online genealogy courses include a class
website and regular chats. Scottish Genealogy class
- The Scottish Association of Family History Societies
– Patron is Robin Blair, LVO, WS, Lord Lyon
King of Arms. Online newsletter.
- Federation of Family History Societies
– How to contact a family history society (FHS) that may
help with your genealogical research.
- Caithness Family History Society
– FHS for those with family origins in the county of Caithness in
north-east Scotland. Sells 1841 census returns for some parishes.
- Tracing Your Islay Ancestors
- Islay in Argyll, an Inner Hebrides island.
- Ancestral Orkney
- Find your Orkney ancestors. Excellent links list.
- Hudson's Bay Company Archives (HBCA)
– Online presence of "one of Canada's national treasures",
at the Archives of Manitoba.
– Includes Orkney webcams, biographies of Dunkirk hero James Campbell Clouston
(1900–1940), James Sinclair
(1805–1856) of the HBC, and others with Orkney roots.
- Sinclair Family History page
– Paul Sinclair's history and genealogy site.
© Clan Sinclair Association Canada.
All rights reserved.
Maintained by firstname.lastname@example.org